Tillsonburg Community Cemetery (Cultural Heritage Resource)

191-193 Simcoe Street
Tillsonburg, Ontario
N4G 0E1
519-688-3009 ext. 4282 - for plot/burial inquires

This cemetery is one of the most beautiful in the County. Begun as a family cemetery in 1838, it became the general burying ground until the late 1870's, when it was operated as a corporation. In 1885, the cemetery was taken over by the municipality. In 1880, legislation was past by the Ontario Government to encourage the formations of cemetery companies and in June of that year, the Tillsonburg Cemetery Company was formed. In August of the same year, the land was purchased from Edwin Delevan Tillson the son of the town founder, George Tillson. In 1895, after the cemetery was described as a cow pasture The Tillsonburg Cemetery is located on Simcoe Street between Goshen Street and West Town Line.