Tillsonburg Pioneer Cemetery (Cultural Heritage Resource)

13 Cedar St
Tillsonburg , Ontario
N4G 2H6
519-688-3009 ext. 4282 - for plot/burial inquires

Established in 1838 at the top of Graveyard Hill as the private cemetery for the Tillson family, this cemetery has been reorganized so that the stones are grouped together in sections. It was closed in the later 1870's when the Tillsonburg Cemetery Company was set up and adjacent land was secured for a new community cemetery. The first known burial in Tillsonburg was that of a young girl, she was interred in an unmarked grave in a place known as the Vienna Woods. In 1838, the first cemetery was opened and was the property of the Tillson family. The cemetery was located on Graveyard Hill not far from the location of George Tillson?s first home. After extensive road construction to make Simcoe Street a part of Highway Number 3, restoration began and graves and headstones were moved and a fence was added. The Town of Tillsonburg now maintains the cemetery as a historic site. This site can be found at the corner of Simcoe and Cedar Streets.